Australian Community Workers Association Australian Community Workers Association


Community services is a thriving sector with a clear and increasing demand for workers.

Browse the featured job vacancies below or visit the listed sites to find your dream job. (sector specific) (sector specific) (general) (Job Active) (for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people)

Many of the major employers, such as Brotherhood of St Laurence, Anglicare and Benevolent Society, have career sections on their own websites.

For employment in government agencies, such as child protection, search the government career website for your state or territory.

Employment agencies can also assist you to find work. A word to the wise though – recruitment agencies often match community workers with personal care/support work roles for which professional community workers (those qualified with a diploma or degree) are over qualified.


Advertise with ACWA: To advertise a community services vacancy, please contact us.

Featured jobs

Remote Services Team Leader
Territory Families, Housing and Communities

Professional 3 - Remuneration range $122,773 - $137,307 (including salary $106,568 - $119,351) Plus competitive housing and remote allowances
Groote Eylandt - Angurugu
Northern Territory
Fide to 30/06/2022

Do you have leadership experience in child protection and interested in working in a unique remote setting of the Northern Territory? .

  • Lead and supervise a team of professional and family support staff
  • Statutory and non-statutory welfare and safety services
  • Enjoy the uniqueness of living in a remote community in the Northern Territory .

Territory Families works with families, individuals and stakeholders to create stronger communities where children experience safe, healthy and happy childhoods, women and men from all cultural and linguistic backgrounds have equal opportunities, and senior Territorians are appreciated and respected.

As a Remote Services Team Leader, you will lead and supervise a team of professional and safety support staff in the delivery of integrated statutory and non-statutory welfare and safety services to vulnerable children, families and groups residing in remote communities. This involves undertaking statutory responsibilities and exercising delegations under the Care and Protection of Children Act, and ensuring the accurate and timely recording of information on the client information and case management systems.

To be successful, you require an Australian tertiary qualification, eligibility for membership of a relevant professional body; sound understanding of the principles and functions of supervising staff in the delivery of statutory and non-statutory welfare services, and highly developed professional skills in conducting strength bases assessments, developing and delivering effective interventions and applying best practice principles.

In addition, you will have demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture, family and community structures, an ability to communicate and work in a culturally safe manner.

In return, you will be offered an attractive salary package including competitive housing and market allowances, support to grow and develop your career, excellent progression opportunities and the opportunity to make a positive difference to children and their families in remote communities. You will also experience the ancient Aboriginal culture and picturesque landscapes of East Arnhem Land, with regular plane services to and from Darwin and Nhulunbuy.

For a confidential discussion please contact: Bianca Harris on 08 8973 8600 or email

Quote vacancy number: 41220
Closing date: 30/06/2021

Applications should address the Selection Criteria. For a copy of the Job Description and to apply online click here.

Picture your life out here –

Aboriginal Practice Advisor
Territory Families, Housing and Communities

Senior Administrative Officer 1 - Remuneration Package Range ( $142,067 - $158,549) including salary $123,559 - $138,034
Northern Region Child Protection

  • Play a key role in ensuring Aboriginal children grow up strong, connected to community
  • Lead the implementation of Cultural Security Framework and Practice Standards
  • Influence change by engaging with diverse communities and stakeholders.

Apply your strategic leadership skills and help build safe, strong and proud communities where every Territorian is valued and able to participate.

Territory Families, Housing and Communities is committed to improving cultural safety and valuing Aboriginal staff and partners. Our commitment is providing a responsive and safe environment for Aboriginal people where cultural value, strengths and differences are integrated into the governance, management, designing and delivery of services.

As Aboriginal Practice Advisor, you will be part of the Big Rivers leadership team. You will support children and families to be safe by providing high quality advice to the Senior Director, Managers and Team Leaders; develop and deliver culturally appropriate and effective services for Aboriginal families; and contribute to the improvement of cultural practice standards and policy initiatives relating to Aboriginal children and families.

To be successful, you will have a strong commitment to ensuring the safety of children, practical experience in the child and family sector and the ability to contribute to the Big Rivers leadership team. Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of cultural issues, family and community dynamics and relationships as well as the ability to work with a range of Aboriginal communities and other stakeholders is essential.

In return you will receive a competitive salary inclusive of 6 weeks annual leave, the opportunity to grow professionally and be part of a team committed to making a difference to Aboriginal children and their families. Just 320km drive from Darwin, Katherine is the main service centre for the Big Rivers Region and is the gateway to the north, south, east and west with gorges, waterfalls, thermal springs and ancient cultures to experience. You will have the opportunity to travel by road or air to remote communities and homelands within the region and experience the unique language and culture.

For further information please contact; Bianca Harris on 08 8973 8409 or email

Quote vacancy number: 33866
Closing date: 28/06/2021

Applications should address the Selection Criteria. For a copy of the Job Description and to apply online click here.

Picture your life out here –

Child Protection Practitioner Roles
Department of Family, Fairness and Housing

Child Protection work is rewarding, fulfilling, challenging and demanding, with many opportunities from Case Support Work (CPP2) to Expert Practice (CPP6) roles. As a Child Protection Practitioner, you’ll join over 1600 other qualified social welfare and behavioural professionals, passionate about social justice and the rights of children at risk.

Who is DFFS looking for?
We’re looking for professionals who are confident and resilient. You must be empathetic and open to change when working collaboratively with families and other professionals.

While there is need for therapy-based skills, a great deal of case work involves statutory investigation, analysis and critical thinking.

What’s involved in being a Practitioner?
Child Protection Practitioners work for the Victorian Government to investigate the safety and wellbeing of children at risk. They receive and assess reports of alleged child abuse and neglect from the community. In more serious circumstances, Practitioners may be involved in court action.

To be an effective Child Protection Practitioner, you’ll understand that families are complex and have their own unique histories. Importantly, you will be able to build relationships with children, young people and their families.

The work is interesting, challenging, busy and fulfilling and involves therapeutic and analytical skills. Roles may at times be required to operate outside normal office hours (at night, on weekends and public holidays) with relevant overtime or time in lieu provisions applying.

What jobs are available?
There are many opportunities across various levels in Child Protection, from Case Support Worker (CPP2) roles to Expert Practice (CPP6) roles.

Learn more and apply

Quick and easy national police checks


Get the ACWA discount