logo1Celebrating 50 Years

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Pre-assessment advice

Can ACWA provide advice on my visa eligibility?

No, ACWA cannot provide advice on migration and visas. Contact the relevant government department or a registered migration agent.

Which ANZSCO code should I nominate?
It is your responsibility to determine and nominate an occupation.

You can apply for an ACWA skills assessment if your nominated occupation is listed on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) or the Short-term Skilled Occupations List (STSOL) with ACWA listed as the assessing authority.

Can you advise me if my qualification will be accepted?
Due to the complexity of a migration skills assessment, it is not possible to determine the outcome until a complete assessment of qualifications and experience has been undertaken.

Do I need point test advice for an Australian qualification?
No, this optional service is for overseas qualifications only.

Evidence requirements

My most relevant qualification is a master’s degree, should I submit evidence of my undergraduate qualification?
You must provide all documentation for the underpinning qualifications such as a bachelor’s degree, including any non-relevant qualifications. This information is important when we assess your qualification comparability.

Do I have to demonstrate proficiency in English for a positive assessment?

Yes, you will be required to demonstrate your English language proficiency. Find the full information on the evidence requirements here.

Why am I required to demonstrate English language proficiency?
Communication is one of the most crucial components of community services occupations and effective communications skills are imperative. Community services workers and managers communicate with clients, colleagues, and stakeholders to convey critical information, interpret complex situations, and make important decisions.

Are combined English language test results acceptable?
An IELTS score of level 7 in each band (general or academic) at any test session over a period of 12 months, within the three years prior to the submission of an application to ACWA is acceptable. This arrangement is not applicable to other test forms accepted by ACWA.

Can I submit a PTE Academic test result copy with my application?
You must send your PTE Academic score to ACWA through PTE secure portal and attach a copy of your PTE test result with the application. This is not applicable to applicants using other forms of English language proficiency evidence.

I cannot provide employer reference letters, what are my options?
You are responsible for providing evidence of your industry experience claims. Without sufficient evidence, we are unable to assess your industry experience claim. If you cannot obtain a job reference letter from your previous employer your industry experience claims will not be assessed.

How recent does my industry work experience need to be?
Your industry work experience must be within the past five years to be valid and current.

What is the distinction between full-time and part-time work?

Full-time work is classed as 30 hours or more per week.

Application process and status

How long will an assessment take?
A completed application will take approximately 8-10 weeks to be processed, however, if more information is required it may take longer.

When do I receive an acknowledgement of my application?
An acknowledgement email will be sent to the nominated email within 5 business days. This will include your ACWA file reference number.

Can I check the status of my application?
We do not provide progress updates. Contact us only if it has been more than 10 weeks since you submitted your application.

Can I fast-track my application?
If you would like to apply for your skills assessment to be fast-tracked send the fast-track request form to assessments@acwa.org.au. You may send this request at the time of application or after submitting an application. This service is available on a case by case basis only and incurs a fee of $165 (GST inclusive) if paying within Australia or $150 if paying from overseas. A completed application under the fast-tracked process takes approximately 4-5 weeks.

Making changes to a pending application

Can I add additional services (e.g., qualification comparability assessment) to an already submitted application?
You cannot add additional services request to an already submitted application. However, you can submit a separate application with the required supporting documents in addition to the primary application.

Can I change my address and contact details after submitting an application?
You can update your details by sending an email to assessments@acwa.org.au. You must provide your file reference number when contacting ACWA.

Can I change or remove my migration agent after applying?
Yes, you can change or remove your migration agent at any time. To update this information complete form 956 and email it to assessments@acwa.org.au. You must include your ACWA file reference number in the subject line.

Can I provide additional documents during the assessment process?
Your application must include all required documentation and must be decision ready before you apply. An incomplete application will be assigned a 'not suitable' outcome. You are entitled to appeal (see below) however, this incurs a fee and additional processing time. You may, however, be asked to submit additional evidence as part of the assessment process.

Can I change my ANZSCO nomination during the assessment process?
You cannot change your ANZSCO nomination during the processing of your application. However, if you chose the wrong ANZSCO code, please contact ACWA via email within 7 days of submitting your application.

Obtaining copies and renewing an assessment

I have lost my skills assessment certificate can I get a new one?
You can only get a replacement certificate if it has not expired. If you have lost your skills assessment certificate and it is still valid, complete the Request for replacement of lost certificate form and attach a copy of the statutory declaration found above the form. There is a $120 fee that applies (an additional $20 fee applies if international postage is requested) and it may take up to 20 working days to process your request.

Can I get a copy of the documents I submitted as part of my skills assessment application?
Skills assessment applications are kept for five years only, applications older than this have been destroyed in line with our record keeping and privacy procedures. If you made an application within the past five years and would like a copy of your documents (e.g. fieldwork placement certificates) please complete the Request for copy of skills assessment application and upload a certified copy of your skills assessment outcome certificate. A payment of $120 applies (an additional $20 fee applies if international postage is requested) and it may take a up to 20 working days to process your request.

I was previously assessed as 'Suitable' for a skills assessment but it has now expired, can I renew my assessment?
We can not renew an expired assessment however, there are ways to gain a new and valid certificate.
If you received a 'suitable' assessment as a Welfare Worker that expired within the last 2 years you may apply for a new assessment as a Welfare Worker under Category C.
If you received a 'suitable' assessment as a Welfare Worker that expired more than 2 years ago you may apply for a new assessment under the current guidelines.
If you received a 'suitable' assessment as a Community Worker, Youth Worker or Welfare Centre Manager under a previously authorised assessing body you will need to apply for a new assessment with ACWA under the current guidelines.